Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Visualization


For me, I paddle well when I use visualization  for the various aspects of my paddling technique. I hope that some of these may help you...

Holding the Paddle - When I hold the paddle, I imagine holding an inflatable Fit Ball inside the circle that includes my arms, hands, chest, and paddle. I imagine Chi energy flowing through that impenetrable and unbreakable circle. It helps me as I both set and pull the paddle, as well as with stroke recovery.


Reach - I focus on pulling the shoulder blade of my top hand back and around to the opposite side of the board. Instead of simply reaching forward with the lower hand, pulling the top hand's shoulder blade back allows you to reach even further. Try it, you'll see what I mean.


Setting the Paddle - I imagine Olympic divers entering the water with no splash. That's what you want with your paddle, a clean entry that 'grabs' the water.

Pull - After you set the paddle and grab a chunk of water, you are essentially pulling yourself, and your board, to where you set your paddle. You aren't moving the paddle through the water. I often imagine a long row of poles in front of me and I reach and pull myself and my board from one to the next. A lot like Tarzan swinging on vines, only I'm gliding from one paddle's pole to the next.

Recovery - I think of a medieval swordsman pulling his sword from its sheath. Using the lower hand, I twist outward and pull the paddle from the water, just enough for it to clear the water and move forward for the next stroke. The top hand merely functions as support and a guide.

Cadence & Timing - I often use a cadence that I've heard Danny Ching (winner of numerous outrigger and stand-up paddle events) uses, just like a waltz, 1, 2, 3, and... 1, 2, 3, and... with the recovery on 'and...' I'll also often use the mantra "Pull hard, pull often" to keep a steady rhythm while paddling.

I hope these are helpful. I'll share more in a later post...



No comments:

Post a Comment