Monday, July 30, 2012

Circumnavigation - Squaxin Island

If not for the wind, it would've been a relatively quick paddle around Squaxin Island. The open water crossing from Boston Harbor to Squaxin was a little hairy, in part because the current was still flooding through Dana Passage. Smooth water along Peale Passage until I reached Pickering Passage where it was whitecaps and 3 foot windwaves. I'd have taken photos but didn't dare stop. Fortunately, a kingfisher encouraged me along for a good stretch of this paddle. I'm pleased that I felt completely comfortable in those conditions, with both my abilities and my new board. I ultimatley found the lee to the wind as I exited Squaxin Passage and rounded Hunter Point, which was a relief to my tired shoulders and back. This wasn't my first circumnavigation of Squaxin, but it's one I won't soon forget.

Tucksel Point
Looking back over open water to Boston Harbor
Calm Peale Passage
Squaxin's Seafarm Cove
Abandoned Trailer - Reclaimed by Nature
Harstine Island Bridge over Pickering Passage
Squaxin's Salmon Point
Hope and Steamboat Islands
Potlatch Point with Hope Island to the right
Palela Bay
Almost back - clouds over Cooper Point and Eld Inlet

No comments:

Post a Comment